Carnatic Scale - DHARMAVATHI (C)
Dharmavati is quite a famous raga not only in Carnatic music, but in Hindusani too. This 59th raga in the Melakarta system of Carnatic music is similar to Hindustani music scale Madhuvanti. In Muthuswami Dikshitar school of music, it has the name Dhaamavati.
Arohana: S R2 G2 M2 P D2 N3 S
Avarohana: S N3 D2 P M2 G2 R2 S
The notes of Dharmavati are shadjam, chathusruthi rishabham, sadharana gandharam, prati madhyamam, panjamam, chathusruthi dhaivatham and kakali nishadam. Ni, Ri and Ma are the ragachaaya swaras. Gamaka prayogas and daatu swara prayogas make the notes more beautiful. The deerkhaswara Ni is supposed to be sung with gamaka prayogas to enhance the recital.
Being the fifth raga in the Disi chakra, it has the mnemonic name Disi-Ma. The shuddha madhyamam equivalent of this sampoorna raga is Gourimanohari, the 23rd Melakarta raga. Portraying sringara rasa, the elaborations of Dharmavati are very pleasing to the ears.
Janya ragas like Gowrikriya, Karmukhavati and Madhumaalathi are all derived from Dharmavati. Some of the classical compositions in this raga are Dharmave jayavemba by Purandara Dasa, Parandaamavati Jayathi by Muthuswami Dikshitar and Vashama Nee by Dr. M. Balamuralikrishna. There are two ragas obtained by shifting the notes of Dharmavati using Graha Bhedam. They are Chakravakam and Sarasangi.
List of Tamil Film songs in Dharmavati raga:
• Ammaanai (Film Avan Oru Sarithiram)
• Kaadhal Kaadhal Endru Pesa (Film Uttharavindri Ulle Vaa)
• Nandhaa En Nila (Film Nandhaa En Nila)
• Ottagathe Kattikko (Film Gentleman)
• Idhu sugam (Film Vandicholai Chinraasu)
List of Malayalam film songs in Dharmavati raga:
• Oh Dilruba (Film Azhakiya Raavanan)
• Iniyente Maathram (Film Oraal)
• Sooryan Neeyanda (Film Kochiraajaavu)
• Shaaradendu Paadi (Film Kaliyoonjal)
• Chillujaalakavaathilil (Film Classmates)